Tango Dance Lessons
The Tango from our professional dance instructor.Our Showcase Dance: Tango.
Only such a diverse country as Argentina could give birth to a dance that enchanted millions of people throughout the centuries. And when people “dance” they embrace music, culture and overall perception of life. Tango, originally an old Argentinean folk dance, nowadays has many varieties to enjoy. Among them there are two well known and mostly favourite dances as Ballroom Tango and Argentine Tango. They have absolutely nothing in common but both of them keep engaging more and more admirers from all over the world.
Tango is well-known to be a dance of poor immigrants, searching the basic needs of every human being, such as happiness, luck and love in sunny Argentina. However, to get it to the level it has today, all the straight and strict temper Ballroom Tango is famous for, this dance had to be thoroughly influenced by the European society, supplying it with ballet’s tone and developing an absolutely new, distinct idea of the dance. It is mostly about the affection and betrayal rather than glorifying the love. All the emotions and feelings people go through are usually hidden in these unbelievable dance combinations, making Tango a life-long dance.
In the 19th century Tango was first introduced as a dance enjoyed to the simple drum beats whereas nowadays the captivating dance steps are enveloped with the fascinating sounds. Music, as a pretty significant part of any dance, sets its unique pace and rhythm, where sounds of imperial march are to be traced. The musical mix of piano, violin, guitar and bandoneon in a single piece triggers the unexpected change of striking emotions within a single dance. Besides, such phenomenon as STACCATO makes Tango even more fashionable out of all remarkable dances. Surely it is less smooth and less harmonious than social "Argentine Tango" dancers are used to, but nevertheless admirers find their own beauty and enjoyment in the Standard Ballroom Tango.
Tango in its translation is a Rendezvous, a place where two striking personalities meet. Their tempers should get along well to charming sounds of music, expressing all the emotional depth their souls tend to have. A dance of passion is usually performed at most of people’s emotions, feelings and possibilities. That’s why when it comes to dancing tango, even high technique is not enough. Dancers’ true nature, feeling and living the idea of music, draws carefully this emotionally mysterious dance pattern.
Unlike the Argentine Tango, the one of the Standard Ballroom dance program lacks its creative bit. There is no place for freestyle in a Standard Tango; it strictly follows the certain principles. Head, posture, body frame and the dance combinations, all this distinguishes Tango from the rest of the competitive dances, usually performed at Dance Festivals. Highly accurate, dashing movements stand for the discipline and self-control whereas lots of curled shapes symbolize its distinctive view on love and tremendous feelings going on between partners.
What is more engaging about this dance is that dancers are not supposed to smile or even to look each other in the eye. It means that there is an unbelievable trust between partners in Tango where a female partner completely confides in her gentleman, following him across the ballroom floor and responding accordingly to tone of the dance. That is what marks Tango as a male-leading dance, where a Man has a full responsibility on his shoulders for a Woman and the dance with an impressive atmosphere both of them are about to create!
Choose desired course level:
Beginner Tango Course
Beginner Tango course is designed for:
- Absolute beginners who have never danced before or who consider themselves to have 2 left feet.
- For people who have taken Tango classes in the past and who are not sure or have forgotten their fundamental steps.
- For people going to vacation to Latin American countries and want to have basic knowledge of Latin dancing.
You will learn:
- Explore the posture and specifically the ‘Tango Dance Position ‘ to be able to dance in partnership and in proper tango frame.
- Learn the correct technique of how to follow a partner’s lead during a combination of freestyle steps.
- Learn how to develop the ability to transform simple basic steps in articulated sequences with rich decoration and embellishment.
- How to connect with your partner.
- How to Lead (men).
- How to Follow (women).
Intermediate Tango Course
Beginner Tango course must be completed. Approval from instructors required to start the Intermediate Tango Course.
You will learn:
- New combinations every session.
- Improving the posture and specifically the ‘Tango Dance Position’ to be able to dance in partnership and in proper tango frame.
- Learning the correct technique of how to follow a partner’s lead during a combination of freestyle steps.
- Learning more articulated figures of Tango with and without a partner.
- Improving the ability to dance Tango sequences on faster timing with more styling.
- Learning how to develop the ability to transform simple basic steps in articulated sequences with rich decoration and embellishment.
- Basic, Intermediate patterns and combining those patterns.
- More connection and leading & following exercises.
- How to understand music, counts, syncopations and accents.
Advanced Tango Course
Ongoing Tango classes with more challenging patterns, spicy moves & figures. This class is for those who are at the Intermediate/advance level (Approval from instructors required). Tango has many patterns, combinations, variations. We recommend taking 3 to 4 intermediate Tango courses before taking Advanced Tango Course. If you missed the first class, it’s not too late to join us for the second class!
You will learn:
- Improve posture to be able to dance in partnership on the dance floor: specifically the ‘Close Embrace’ and tango frame.
- Refine the correct technique of how to follow a partner’s lead during a combination of freestyle steps.
- Learn how to transform simple basic steps into articulated sequences with rich decoration and embellishment.
- Learn more articulated figures of Argentine Tango with and without a partner.
- Improve your ability to dance Tango sequences with faster timing and/or with more styling.
- Learn how to combine all the figures studied during the course into a unique and fluid routine.
Common options for all courses:
- All courses are available as group and/or private lessons.
- You may choose male or female teacher, as you prefer.
- Certificate of Achievement is available, read more.
- We have dance lessons for kids, mixed lessons (children and parents) are available.
- We can modify the courses to better suit your needs.
Available lesson formats:
Individual Dance Lessons
Nervous about dancing in public? Private lessons take the edge off and allow you to really let loose and see what you’re made of!
Private dance lessons are the quickest, most effective way to improve your dancing. We personalize each lesson based on your individual needs, desires, and goals, adjusting our teaching style to your ability, personality, and expectations. You’ll discover the difference some one-on-one attention can make in your dancing! This ensures the most thorough and rapid learning process, all while keeping it fun, easy, and comfortable.
Benifits of private dance lessons:
- Personalized attention and custom lesson guide
- Scheduled at your convenience
- Fastest way to learn and progress
Private lessons are designed to focus on your own dancing needs. This is where you will be able to learn technic, especially how to use our feet, understand timing, and develop body awareness, the more challenging aspects of your learning and in the same time enjoy the relaxed and comfortable atmosphere of our studio, have fun, and enjoy the feeling of dancing.
Group Dance Lessons
Focus on having fun and we’ll take care of the rest! Group classes learning is one of the most exciting ways to learn how to dance. Classes focus on lead and follow skills and how to put dance patterns together in a way that makes sense.
Benifits of group dance lessons:
- Helps growth in the social ability of your dance skills
- Broad experience growth: dancing with multiple partners at all levels and get introduced to patterns at a fast pace
- Meet students of all skill levels and practice dancing with them
- Provides an environment for students to share their experiences, giving newer students advice on how to get the most out of their dance training experience.
- Another blessing from learning with others in a group is developing relationships with those you can now practice what you learned with
Group classes are designed to teach you the school figures and to develop your sense of balance. For the majority of the class the ladies are on one side of the room and gentlemen on the other. We learn the figures and solidify them with a considerable amount of repetition. Because the majority of the time we are dancing on our own, our balance, which is so important is being developed.
We cater for all aims and goals, for great fun, for those who are looking for the health benefits of dancing, for those looking to be the center of the dance floor or to challenge themselves, or perhaps just to spend time with their partner (couples lessons) dancing is one of the best activities in the WORLD!
We are waiting for you on our group dance lessons:
“Practice Sessions” means that all students are welcome and encouraged to come.
While the format of a practice session is much like a typical social ballroom dance, the purpose is different. You can come to just enjoy dancing. You do not need to have a particular move or routine that you are practicing. It is a great opportunity to dance on the biggest dance floor. The instructors will take care for a dancing environment of the session, including providing appropriate music carefully chosen for the correct tempo for each type of dance and for the characteristics that make each dance unique. Instructors hosting the practice session are often pleased to make suggestions when asked.
Benifits of practice sessions:
- Practice sessions offer an opportunity to practice steps or routines on Dance For You Studio spacious floating floor
- Every week our ballroom is available for our students to use for practice sessions
- The ballroom is equipped with a state of the art sound system and provides the perfect environment to focus on and enjoy improving your dancing
- Excellent opportunity to practice what you’ve been learning on your private lessons as well as the Group Lessons
Practice sessions are designed to prepare you for dancing in the real world. At these sessions many of the students attend. This creates the need to develop our traffic skills and maneuverability. You will have the opportunity to dance with a variety of partners. Everyone feels different and our job is to prepare you to dance with anyone. You will also practice to the music the entire practice session.
Look forward to see you on our practice session:
Visit our photo gallery to see more photos from weekly dance practice events.