Foxtrot Dance Lessons
Foxtrot from our professional dance instructor.Foxtrot dance example.
All people are luckily born to be dreamers and believers. It is a power that drives the whole human race forward to pursue a dream, strive for something incredibly nice. What can be more amazing than that? Only the inevitable feeling of harmony and beauty that such a graceful dance as Foxtrot constantly gives all the dancers. Magic, mystery and magnificence are often introduced into one’s life while diving into an unbelievable world of dancing with the Foxtrot steps.
The beginning of the 20th century in America gave birth to this splendid and one of its kind dance. Since it has been undergoing lots of modifications throughout the history of its formation, Foxtrot as a classical dance of a Ballroom Dance Program has gained its unbeatable popularity, taking “the highest” place ever. First it was known as a pretty dynamic and energetic dance with bouncing and leg swinging. However, as many dancers were enjoying it as many changes or new dance combinations were contributed, especially under the European influence. It all resulted in A Foxtrot we all know today, a smooth and elegant dance, travelling all the way down the dance pattern, based on the change of fast and slow steps interrupted with the mysterious fading effect.
Some people still ponder upon the origin of Foxtrot. The most hilarious version stands for the crush of two foxes trotting on the dance floor together whereas the most serious idea traces its origin to Harry Fox, a vaudeville actor, dancer and comedian. Truth or not, but this dance has a full right to be called the most romantic dance of the whole European dance program. Originally Foxtrot included some ideas which were further developed into other dances such as Slow Waltz or Quickstep. Despite being one of the most complicated dances due to its challenging style of performance Foxtrot still remains one of the most favourite dances.
Foxtrot’s deep beauty is possible to achieve only under the constant practice. Nevertheless some dancers came up with the simplified alternative, the Social Foxtrot where the main steps are still enjoyable and attainable for everyone, bringing them closer to the classical beauty without going that deep.
Foxtrot is fantastically tailored for the improvisation which can be seen in enormous “field” for inspiration where numerous dance combinations can be united into this or that story. Dancers change the rhythmic pattern of a dance as long as they want to retell it differently, in their own unique way. The dance, where both partners are equally important and codependent requires full self and balance control. Slow-paced Foxtrot is quite demanding. It clearly reflects the level of the professionalism of the dancers. Level of proficiency is easily spotted while gliding through the dance floor and making an enchanting stop as if taking a deep breath before the next whirl of emotions expressed through the dance steps.
Music is an art of sounds where each sound has its own meaning. Dance is an art of movements where each movement stands for the certain way of self-expression. No one but you choose the way to express your inner self and expose the soul to this outstanding world through the dance steps. If your spirit is all about the classics then Foxtrot is the right choice. A flawless performance marked by glamour and glitter will bring you back to the Victorian age where you will be telling YOUR stupendous story not only enjoying it to the full but also engaging lots of spectators!
Choose desired course level:
Beginner Foxtrot Course
Beginner Foxtrot course is designed for:
- Absolute beginners who have never danced before or who consider themselves to have 2 left feet.
- For people who have taken Foxtrot classes in the past and who are not sure or have forgotten their fundamental steps.
- For people who want to practice their basic steps.
You will learn:
- Explore the posture and basic moves and figures.
- Learn the correct technique of how to follow a partner’s lead during a combination of freestyle steps.
- Learn how to develop the ability to transform simple basic steps in articulated sequences with rich decoration and embellishment.
- How to connect with your partner.
- How to Lead (men).
- How to Follow (women).
Intermediate Foxtrot Course
Beginner Foxtrot course must be completed. Approval from instructors required to start the Intermediate Foxtrot Course.
You will learn:
- New combinations every session.
- Improving the posture and movements to be able to dance in partnership and in proper Foxtrot frame.
- Advanced moves and figures: Progressive and Pivot Turns, Twinkles, Grapevines.
- Learning how to develop the ability to transform simple basic steps in articulated sequences with rich decoration and embellishment.
- Basic, Intermediate patterns and combining those patterns.
- More connection and leading & following exercises.
- How to understand music, counts, syncopations and accents.
Advanced Foxtrot Course
Ongoing Foxtrot classes with more challenging patterns, spicy moves & figures. This class is for those who are at the Intermediate/advance level (Approval from instructors required). Foxtrot has many patterns, combinations, variations. We recommend taking 3 to 4 intermediate Foxtrot courses before taking Advanced Foxtrot Course. If you missed the first class, it’s not too late to join us for the second class!
You will learn:
- Learn how to transform simple basic steps into articulated sequences with rich decoration and embellishment.
- Learn advanced Foxtrot moves and figures: such as Hover Corte, Step-Points, Curved Feathers, and different Foxtrot variations with separate embellishments for ladies and men.
- Learn more articulated figures of Foxtrot.
- Improve your ability to dance Foxtrot sequences with faster timing and with more styling.
- Learn how to combine all the figures studied during the course into a unique and fluid routine.
Common options for all courses:
- All courses are available as group and/or private lessons.
- You may choose male or female teacher, as you prefer.
- Certificate of Achievement is available, read more.
- We have dance lessons for kids, mixed lessons (children and parents) are available.
- We can modify the courses to better suit your needs.
Available lesson formats:
Individual Dance Lessons
Nervous about dancing in public? Private lessons take the edge off and allow you to really let loose and see what you’re made of!
Private dance lessons are the quickest, most effective way to improve your dancing. We personalize each lesson based on your individual needs, desires, and goals, adjusting our teaching style to your ability, personality, and expectations. You’ll discover the difference some one-on-one attention can make in your dancing! This ensures the most thorough and rapid learning process, all while keeping it fun, easy, and comfortable.
Benifits of private dance lessons:
- Personalized attention and custom lesson guide
- Scheduled at your convenience
- Fastest way to learn and progress
Private lessons are designed to focus on your own dancing needs. This is where you will be able to learn technic, especially how to use our feet, understand timing, and develop body awareness, the more challenging aspects of your learning and in the same time enjoy the relaxed and comfortable atmosphere of our studio, have fun, and enjoy the feeling of dancing.
Group Dance Lessons
Focus on having fun and we’ll take care of the rest! Group classes learning is one of the most exciting ways to learn how to dance. Classes focus on lead and follow skills and how to put dance patterns together in a way that makes sense.
Benifits of group dance lessons:
- Helps growth in the social ability of your dance skills
- Broad experience growth: dancing with multiple partners at all levels and get introduced to patterns at a fast pace
- Meet students of all skill levels and practice dancing with them
- Provides an environment for students to share their experiences, giving newer students advice on how to get the most out of their dance training experience.
- Another blessing from learning with others in a group is developing relationships with those you can now practice what you learned with
Group classes are designed to teach you the school figures and to develop your sense of balance. For the majority of the class the ladies are on one side of the room and gentlemen on the other. We learn the figures and solidify them with a considerable amount of repetition. Because the majority of the time we are dancing on our own, our balance, which is so important is being developed.
We cater for all aims and goals, for great fun, for those who are looking for the health benefits of dancing, for those looking to be the center of the dance floor or to challenge themselves, or perhaps just to spend time with their partner (couples lessons) dancing is one of the best activities in the WORLD!
We are waiting for you on our group dance lessons:
“Practice Sessions” means that all students are welcome and encouraged to come.
While the format of a practice session is much like a typical social ballroom dance, the purpose is different. You can come to just enjoy dancing. You do not need to have a particular move or routine that you are practicing. It is a great opportunity to dance on the biggest dance floor. The instructors will take care for a dancing environment of the session, including providing appropriate music carefully chosen for the correct tempo for each type of dance and for the characteristics that make each dance unique. Instructors hosting the practice session are often pleased to make suggestions when asked.
Benifits of practice sessions:
- Practice sessions offer an opportunity to practice steps or routines on Dance For You Studio spacious floating floor
- Every week our ballroom is available for our students to use for practice sessions
- The ballroom is equipped with a state of the art sound system and provides the perfect environment to focus on and enjoy improving your dancing
- Excellent opportunity to practice what you’ve been learning on your private lessons as well as the Group Lessons
Practice sessions are designed to prepare you for dancing in the real world. At these sessions many of the students attend. This creates the need to develop our traffic skills and maneuverability. You will have the opportunity to dance with a variety of partners. Everyone feels different and our job is to prepare you to dance with anyone. You will also practice to the music the entire practice session.
Look forward to see you on our practice session:
Visit our photo gallery to see more photos from weekly dance practice events.