Rumba Dance Lessons
Our Showcase Dance: Rumba.Our Memebers: Rumba winners at Pro/Am Dance Competition.
The Rumba is a very slow, serious, romantic dance with flirtation between the partners. The dance is fun to watch, as many of its basic dance figures of the dance have a teasing theme in which the lady flirts with and then rejects her male partner. The Rumba spotlights the lady’s rhythmic body movements and hip actions resulting in intense, almost steamy, scenes of passion.
Rumba was born in Cuba. As a typical dance of “hot climate” it became a classic of all Latin dances. Rumba is a slow dance, which is characterized by sensual, loving motions and gestures; it has a Latin style of hip-flips and is an interpretation of relationship between a man and a woman.
Very popular in Cuba in the 19th century sexual pantomime, having absorbed dancing elements of guaracha, Cuban Bolero, Son and Danzon by 1930-s, has been actively popularized in the United States. Since 1947 Pierre Lavel arduously promotes Rumba in England (its Cuban version in particular). And in 1955 it was officially included in ballroom dancing program.
Choose desired course level:
Beginner Rumba Course
Beginner Rumba course is designed for:
- Absolute beginners who have never danced before or who consider themselves to have 2 left feet.
- For people who have taken Rumba classes in the past and who are not sure or have forgotten their fundamental steps.
- For people who want to practice their basic steps.
- For people going to vacation to Latin American countries and want to have basic knowledge of Latin dancing.
You will learn:
- Explore the posture and basic moves and figures, Cucarachas, New York figures and Spot Turns.
- Learn the correct technique of how to follow a partner’s lead during a combination of freestyle steps.
- Learn how to develop the ability to transform simple basic steps in articulated sequences with rich decoration and embellishment.
- How to connect with your partner.
- How to Lead (men).
- How to Follow (women).
Intermediate Rumba Course
Beginner Rumba course must be completed. Approval from instructors required to start the Intermediate Rumba Course.
You will learn:
- New combinations every session.
- Improving the posture and movements to be able to dance in partnership and in proper Rumba frame.
- Advanced moves and figures: Progressive Walks, Cuban Rocks, Side Steps, Alemana and more.
- Learning how to develop the ability to transform simple basic steps in articulated sequences with rich decoration and embellishment.
- Basic, Intermediate patterns and combining those patterns.
- More connection and leading & following exercises.
- How to understand music, counts, syncopations and accents.
Advanced Rumba Course
Ongoing Rumba classes with more challenging patterns, spicy moves & figures. This class is for those who are at the Intermediate/advance level (Approval from instructors required). Rumba has many patterns, combinations, variations. We recommend taking 3 to 4 intermediate Rumba courses before taking Advanced Rumba Course. If you missed the first class, it’s not too late to join us for the second class!
You will learn:
- Learn advanced Rumba moves and figures: such as Rope Spinning, Sliding Doors, Aida, Curl, Fencing, Advanced Hip Twists with separate embellishments for ladies and men.
- Learn how to transform simple basic steps into articulated sequences with rich decoration and embellishment.
- Learn more articulated figures of Rumba with and without a partner.
- Improve your ability to dance Rumba sequences with faster timing and/or with more styling.
- Learn how to combine all the figures studied during the course into a unique and fluid routine.
Common options for all courses:
- All courses are available as group and/or private lessons.
- You may choose male or female teacher, as you prefer.
- Certificate of Achievement is available, read more.
- We have dance lessons for kids, mixed lessons (children and parents) are available.
- We can modify the courses to better suit your needs.
Available lesson formats:
Individual Dance Lessons
Nervous about dancing in public? Private lessons take the edge off and allow you to really let loose and see what you’re made of!
Private dance lessons are the quickest, most effective way to improve your dancing. We personalize each lesson based on your individual needs, desires, and goals, adjusting our teaching style to your ability, personality, and expectations. You’ll discover the difference some one-on-one attention can make in your dancing! This ensures the most thorough and rapid learning process, all while keeping it fun, easy, and comfortable.
Benifits of private dance lessons:
- Personalized attention and custom lesson guide
- Scheduled at your convenience
- Fastest way to learn and progress
Private lessons are designed to focus on your own dancing needs. This is where you will be able to learn technic, especially how to use our feet, understand timing, and develop body awareness, the more challenging aspects of your learning and in the same time enjoy the relaxed and comfortable atmosphere of our studio, have fun, and enjoy the feeling of dancing.
Group Dance Lessons
Focus on having fun and we’ll take care of the rest! Group classes learning is one of the most exciting ways to learn how to dance. Classes focus on lead and follow skills and how to put dance patterns together in a way that makes sense.
Benifits of group dance lessons:
- Helps growth in the social ability of your dance skills
- Broad experience growth: dancing with multiple partners at all levels and get introduced to patterns at a fast pace
- Meet students of all skill levels and practice dancing with them
- Provides an environment for students to share their experiences, giving newer students advice on how to get the most out of their dance training experience.
- Another blessing from learning with others in a group is developing relationships with those you can now practice what you learned with
Group classes are designed to teach you the school figures and to develop your sense of balance. For the majority of the class the ladies are on one side of the room and gentlemen on the other. We learn the figures and solidify them with a considerable amount of repetition. Because the majority of the time we are dancing on our own, our balance, which is so important is being developed.
We cater for all aims and goals, for great fun, for those who are looking for the health benefits of dancing, for those looking to be the center of the dance floor or to challenge themselves, or perhaps just to spend time with their partner (couples lessons) dancing is one of the best activities in the WORLD!
We are waiting for you on our group dance lessons:
“Practice Sessions” means that all students are welcome and encouraged to come.
While the format of a practice session is much like a typical social ballroom dance, the purpose is different. You can come to just enjoy dancing. You do not need to have a particular move or routine that you are practicing. It is a great opportunity to dance on the biggest dance floor. The instructors will take care for a dancing environment of the session, including providing appropriate music carefully chosen for the correct tempo for each type of dance and for the characteristics that make each dance unique. Instructors hosting the practice session are often pleased to make suggestions when asked.
Benifits of practice sessions:
- Practice sessions offer an opportunity to practice steps or routines on Dance For You Studio spacious floating floor
- Every week our ballroom is available for our students to use for practice sessions
- The ballroom is equipped with a state of the art sound system and provides the perfect environment to focus on and enjoy improving your dancing
- Excellent opportunity to practice what you’ve been learning on your private lessons as well as the Group Lessons
Practice sessions are designed to prepare you for dancing in the real world. At these sessions many of the students attend. This creates the need to develop our traffic skills and maneuverability. You will have the opportunity to dance with a variety of partners. Everyone feels different and our job is to prepare you to dance with anyone. You will also practice to the music the entire practice session.
Look forward to see you on our practice session:
Visit our photo gallery to see more photos from weekly dance practice events.