Jive Dance Lessons
Our Showcase Dance: Jive.Jive performed by our student and instructor.
The last dance in its performance but definitely not the least one in its significance to the Latin-American dance program, Jive has always been, is and will always be a favourite and long-awaited dance, performed at the dance festivals. The dance of youth and freedom is welcomed and enjoyed in every corner of the planet, thanks to setting an easygoing atmosphere and all the dancers respectively free.
The origins of Jive, like of any other dance, is shrouded in mystery. It was either a ceremonial dance of worship first or a military dance of Native Americans. Nowadays no one actually cares a lot because in any case this very dance makes people, regardless of their age and profession, see the world through incredibly positive eyes. This dance can bring you back a spring of life, granting a sense of freedom where your heartbeat follows the rhythmic sounds of Latin-American music.
A brilliantly speedy dance by its nature, Jive is usually performed as if it is making fun of all the slothfulness, stiffness and heaviness. It challenges everyone with its highly demanding physical training and energy-consuming technique. Sounds pretty tough, doesn’t it. However, it’s totally manageable and most notably enjoyable; otherwise Jive wouldn’t have so many admirers.
Unlike four Latin-American dances Jive is pretty complicated but definitely entertaining. Fast moving as the life itself Jive dancers start their dancing adventure placing on the toes, developing their dance with the abrupt kicks or even the acrobatic skits. Being officially the last dance to perform at the Championships, Jive seems to be the most eagerly awaited Highlight of the whole performance. It sort of tests whether the couple is still capable to hit the dance floor as well as to impress the audience and the jury.
The first sounds of music pave the way for the groovy atmosphere ruling the dance floor during the whole dance. The couple always performs in a light and effortless manner as if they hardly touch the ground with their fabulously sparkling shoes. The dance partners seem to randomly and quite easily move their feet, whereas underneath that chaotically seen dance combinations, each of the dancers strictly controls their steps and movements, completely synchronizing them with the ones of their partners. Dancers tend to break away from hustle and bustle of the daily routine and that is the exact secret to a beauty, expressed by a spectacular dance as Jive.
Within its development Jive was progressing alongside the Jazz music and Swing, partially taking over their tempo. Since nowadays there are two official variants of Jive, such as an international type and one of a Swing dance, Jive still attracts lots of dancers for letting them be happy, young and free spirited, no matter where they are. If it’s a competitive international dance then Jive represents a colourful and vivid movement across the ballroom floor like a never-ending glorification, energizing everyone on its way. If you are more enjoying the social variant then this dance doesn’t require much space. Short, rhythmic dance patterns may be energetically danced through right on the spot, consequently leading to an emotional burst of thrilling emotions.
If your emotions run high and you would like to give them a right way then Jive, this jiggish and amusing dance, is definitely for you. Overwhelming, well-meaning vibes will add more colours into your life rainbow! Come and try that with Dance For You team.
Choose desired course level:
Beginner Jive Course
Beginner Jive course is designed for:
- Absolute beginners who have never danced before or who consider themselves to have 2 left feet.
- For people who have taken Jive classes in the past and who are not sure or have forgotten their fundamental steps.
You will learn:
- Explore the posture and basic moves and figures such as Fall away, Rocks and Throwaway, Links, American Spins, Mooch and Whip.
- Learn the correct technique of how to follow a partner’s lead during a combination of freestyle steps.
- Learn how to develop the ability to transform simple basic steps in articulated sequences with rich decoration and embellishment.
- How to connect with your partner.
- How to Lead (men).
- How to Follow (women).
Intermediate Jive Course
Beginner Jive course must be completed. Approval from instructors required to start the Intermediate Jive Course.
You will learn:
- New combinations every session.
- Improving the posture and movements to be able to dance in partnership and in proper Jive frame.
- Advanced moves and figures, Arm Rolling, Spanish Arms, Windmill, Miami Special.
- Learning how to develop the ability to transform simple basic steps in articulated sequences with rich decoration and embellishment.
- Basic, Intermediate patterns and combining those patterns.
- More connection and leading & following exercises.
- How to understand music, counts, syncopations and accents.
Advanced Jive Course
Ongoing Jive classes with more challenging patterns, spicy moves & figures. This class is for those who are at the Intermediate/advance level (Approval from instructors required). Jive has many patterns, combinations, variations. We recommend taking 3 to 4 intermediate Jive courses before taking Advanced Jive Course. If you missed the first class, it’s not too late to join us for the second class!
You will learn:
- Learn advanced Jive moves and figures such as Curly Whip, Toe Heel Swivels, Chugging, Chicken Walks, Catapult, Stalking Walks, Flicks and Break with separate embellishments for ladies and men.
- Learn more articulated figures of Jive: with and without a partner.
- Learn how to transform simple basic steps into articulated sequences with rich decoration and embellishment.
- Improve your ability to dance Jive sequences with faster timing and/or with more styling.
- Learn how to combine all the figures studied during the course into a unique and fluid routine.
Common options for all courses:
- All courses are available as group and/or private lessons.
- You may choose male or female teacher, as you prefer.
- Certificate of Achievement is available, read more.
- We have dance lessons for kids, mixed lessons (children and parents) are available.
- We can modify the courses to better suit your needs.
Available lesson formats:
Individual Dance Lessons
Nervous about dancing in public? Private lessons take the edge off and allow you to really let loose and see what you’re made of!
Private dance lessons are the quickest, most effective way to improve your dancing. We personalize each lesson based on your individual needs, desires, and goals, adjusting our teaching style to your ability, personality, and expectations. You’ll discover the difference some one-on-one attention can make in your dancing! This ensures the most thorough and rapid learning process, all while keeping it fun, easy, and comfortable.
Benifits of private dance lessons:
- Personalized attention and custom lesson guide
- Scheduled at your convenience
- Fastest way to learn and progress
Private lessons are designed to focus on your own dancing needs. This is where you will be able to learn technic, especially how to use our feet, understand timing, and develop body awareness, the more challenging aspects of your learning and in the same time enjoy the relaxed and comfortable atmosphere of our studio, have fun, and enjoy the feeling of dancing.
Group Dance Lessons
Focus on having fun and we’ll take care of the rest! Group classes learning is one of the most exciting ways to learn how to dance. Classes focus on lead and follow skills and how to put dance patterns together in a way that makes sense.
Benifits of group dance lessons:
- Helps growth in the social ability of your dance skills
- Broad experience growth: dancing with multiple partners at all levels and get introduced to patterns at a fast pace
- Meet students of all skill levels and practice dancing with them
- Provides an environment for students to share their experiences, giving newer students advice on how to get the most out of their dance training experience.
- Another blessing from learning with others in a group is developing relationships with those you can now practice what you learned with
Group classes are designed to teach you the school figures and to develop your sense of balance. For the majority of the class the ladies are on one side of the room and gentlemen on the other. We learn the figures and solidify them with a considerable amount of repetition. Because the majority of the time we are dancing on our own, our balance, which is so important is being developed.
We cater for all aims and goals, for great fun, for those who are looking for the health benefits of dancing, for those looking to be the center of the dance floor or to challenge themselves, or perhaps just to spend time with their partner (couples lessons) dancing is one of the best activities in the WORLD!
We are waiting for you on our group dance lessons:
“Practice Sessions” means that all students are welcome and encouraged to come.
While the format of a practice session is much like a typical social ballroom dance, the purpose is different. You can come to just enjoy dancing. You do not need to have a particular move or routine that you are practicing. It is a great opportunity to dance on the biggest dance floor. The instructors will take care for a dancing environment of the session, including providing appropriate music carefully chosen for the correct tempo for each type of dance and for the characteristics that make each dance unique. Instructors hosting the practice session are often pleased to make suggestions when asked.
Benifits of practice sessions:
- Practice sessions offer an opportunity to practice steps or routines on Dance For You Studio spacious floating floor
- Every week our ballroom is available for our students to use for practice sessions
- The ballroom is equipped with a state of the art sound system and provides the perfect environment to focus on and enjoy improving your dancing
- Excellent opportunity to practice what you’ve been learning on your private lessons as well as the Group Lessons
Practice sessions are designed to prepare you for dancing in the real world. At these sessions many of the students attend. This creates the need to develop our traffic skills and maneuverability. You will have the opportunity to dance with a variety of partners. Everyone feels different and our job is to prepare you to dance with anyone. You will also practice to the music the entire practice session.
Look forward to see you on our practice session:
Visit our photo gallery to see more photos from weekly dance practice events.