English Waltz (Slow Waltz) Dance Lessons
The English Waltz performed by our kid student and instructor.Brigitte and Ruslan - Slow Waltz winners of dance competition Pro/Am Crown Cup 2015.
Dancing and Music, Music and Dancing represent two closely interconnected elements of a significant masterpiece. When it comes to Slow Waltz gracefully performed steps and figures inevitably reflect the power of the soul of music. Nowadays English Waltz is widely known to be a high profile piece of art. However, back there in the days this dance used to be included into the obligatory program to be mastered by the upper-class society. This interesting fact provides all the enthusiastic amateurs with the fundamental ideas to consider themselves to be high-educated and stylish people (in the world of dancing) while performing the dance combinations of the Slow Waltz.
Elegant, appealing to lots of people worldwide dance as Slow Waltz (English Waltz) has a quite astonishing and jaw-dropping background, tracing its origins back to the simple folk dance, popular in Austria back then. Germany of the 17th century, Austria of the 18th century, England of the 19th century faced a pretty rough establishment of a fashionable dance Slow Waltz which strikingly took its place in the International (Competitive) Dance Program in the 20th century, featuring close enough body positions between partners while performing gently the gliding movements. All the dancers mainly catch the rhythm and "swim" across the dance floor, enjoying themselves to the full and pleasing the eye of the audience at the same time. Since it’s generally accepted and danced at absolutely various celebrations, from proms to weddings, learning how to dance Slow Waltz will add certain peculiarities and benefits to one’s posture, character and outlook on life.
Over the past two centuries of the existence Slow Waltz has acquired lots of diverse dance combinations but despite all that it hasn’t lost its charm and beauty and is still regarded as the most favourite dance of all times among the Ballroom Dance Program. English Waltz is generally associated with a lyrical mood and a soaring feeling whereas it is hardly ever considered to have the dynamic movements which directly set the tone of the whole dance. Thanks to these very movements Slow Waltz has firmly and permanently taken the place of honour among all the standard dancers and not just that. "Walzen" is an easy to grasp word but the BEAUTY is well-known to hide in SIMPLICITY. And Slow Waltz apparently is no exception. Its "WALZEN" always implies a skillful technique, a performance discipline and following the rhythm. Working together, feeling each other, partners tend to flourish to the max while flowing and gliding around the spacious dance floor as if they are flying up the waves. Every single step, every single movement is surrounded by the romantic appeal, granting every participant with the gracefulness.
Dance itself is incomparable and remarkable in its own way whereas Slow Waltz is that exquisite and sort of unattainable that builds up the spirit and idea of the mysterious historical times of the past. It indeed requires the spacious dance floor to make the dancers feel like participating in a real ball with the authentic outfits and especially the spirit.
Life is an astonishing creation whereas dance classes add some flavor to it. Choosing Slow Waltz you can’t go wrong, elegance and a sense of featheriness will accompany you through life, that’s what we striving for greeting everyone at Dance For You premises.
Choose desired course level:
Beginner English Waltz Course
Beginner English Waltz course is designed for:
- Absolute beginners who have never danced before or who consider themselves to have 2 left feet.
- For people who have taken English Waltz classes in the past and who are not sure or have forgotten their fundamental steps.
- For people who want to practice their basic steps.
You will learn:
- Explore the posture and basic moves and figures.
- Learn the correct technique of how to follow a partner’s lead during a combination of freestyle steps.
- Learn how to develop the ability to transform simple basic steps in articulated sequences with rich decoration and embellishment.
- How to connect with your partner.
- How to Lead (men).
- How to Follow (women).
Intermediate English Waltz Course
Beginner English Waltz course must be completed. Approval from instructors required to start the Intermediate English Waltz Course.
You will learn:
- New combinations every session.
- Improving the posture and movements to be able to dance in partnership and in proper English Waltz frame.
- Advanced moves and figures: Hesitations, Side Whisks, Cross-Body Lead, Twinkles, Promenade Chasse, Side-by-Side Changes.
- Learning how to develop the ability to transform simple basic steps in articulated sequences with rich decoration and embellishment.
- Basic, Intermediate patterns and combining those patterns.
- More connection and leading & following exercises.
- How to understand music, counts, syncopations and accents.
Advanced English Waltz Course
Ongoing English Waltz classes with more challenging patterns, spicy moves & figures. This class is for those who are at the Intermediate/advance level (Approval from instructors required). English Waltz has many patterns, combinations, variations. We recommend taking 3 to 4 intermediate English Waltz courses before taking Advanced English Waltz Course. If you missed the first class, it’s not too late to join us for the second class!
You will learn:
- Learn how to transform simple basic steps into articulated sequences with rich decoration and embellishment.
- Learn advanced English Waltz moves and figures: such as Wings, Weaves, Open Side Locks, Pivots, Criss Cross Changes, Waltz variations with separate embellishments for Ladies and Men.
- Learn more articulated figures of English Waltz.
- Learn how to combine all the figures studied during the course into a unique and fluid routine.
Common options for all courses:
- All courses are available as group and/or private lessons.
- You may choose male or female teacher, as you prefer.
- Certificate of Achievement is available, read more.
- We have dance lessons for kids, mixed lessons (children and parents) are available.
- We can modify the courses to better suit your needs.
Available lesson formats:
Individual Dance Lessons
Nervous about dancing in public? Private lessons take the edge off and allow you to really let loose and see what you’re made of!
Private dance lessons are the quickest, most effective way to improve your dancing. We personalize each lesson based on your individual needs, desires, and goals, adjusting our teaching style to your ability, personality, and expectations. You’ll discover the difference some one-on-one attention can make in your dancing! This ensures the most thorough and rapid learning process, all while keeping it fun, easy, and comfortable.
Benifits of private dance lessons:
- Personalized attention and custom lesson guide
- Scheduled at your convenience
- Fastest way to learn and progress
Private lessons are designed to focus on your own dancing needs. This is where you will be able to learn technic, especially how to use our feet, understand timing, and develop body awareness, the more challenging aspects of your learning and in the same time enjoy the relaxed and comfortable atmosphere of our studio, have fun, and enjoy the feeling of dancing.
Group Dance Lessons
Focus on having fun and we’ll take care of the rest! Group classes learning is one of the most exciting ways to learn how to dance. Classes focus on lead and follow skills and how to put dance patterns together in a way that makes sense.
Benifits of group dance lessons:
- Helps growth in the social ability of your dance skills
- Broad experience growth: dancing with multiple partners at all levels and get introduced to patterns at a fast pace
- Meet students of all skill levels and practice dancing with them
- Provides an environment for students to share their experiences, giving newer students advice on how to get the most out of their dance training experience.
- Another blessing from learning with others in a group is developing relationships with those you can now practice what you learned with
Group classes are designed to teach you the school figures and to develop your sense of balance. For the majority of the class the ladies are on one side of the room and gentlemen on the other. We learn the figures and solidify them with a considerable amount of repetition. Because the majority of the time we are dancing on our own, our balance, which is so important is being developed.
We cater for all aims and goals, for great fun, for those who are looking for the health benefits of dancing, for those looking to be the center of the dance floor or to challenge themselves, or perhaps just to spend time with their partner (couples lessons) dancing is one of the best activities in the WORLD!
We are waiting for you on our group dance lessons:
“Practice Sessions” means that all students are welcome and encouraged to come.
While the format of a practice session is much like a typical social ballroom dance, the purpose is different. You can come to just enjoy dancing. You do not need to have a particular move or routine that you are practicing. It is a great opportunity to dance on the biggest dance floor. The instructors will take care for a dancing environment of the session, including providing appropriate music carefully chosen for the correct tempo for each type of dance and for the characteristics that make each dance unique. Instructors hosting the practice session are often pleased to make suggestions when asked.
Benifits of practice sessions:
- Practice sessions offer an opportunity to practice steps or routines on Dance For You Studio spacious floating floor
- Every week our ballroom is available for our students to use for practice sessions
- The ballroom is equipped with a state of the art sound system and provides the perfect environment to focus on and enjoy improving your dancing
- Excellent opportunity to practice what you’ve been learning on your private lessons as well as the Group Lessons
Practice sessions are designed to prepare you for dancing in the real world. At these sessions many of the students attend. This creates the need to develop our traffic skills and maneuverability. You will have the opportunity to dance with a variety of partners. Everyone feels different and our job is to prepare you to dance with anyone. You will also practice to the music the entire practice session.
Look forward to see you on our practice session:
Visit our photo gallery to see more photos from weekly dance practice events.